Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

Loading a quilt on New Joy Gold Standard Quilting Frame

I have been asked to help someone with loading a quilt to her New Joy Gold Standard Quilting Frame.
Today, I am going to post a Tutorial on just that subject.
Hope this will help others just starting out with this home quilting system.



The way I load a quilt on my New Joy Gold Standard Frame
by Barb Lynn





I have leaders made with duck cloth which are about 15 inches wide. They attach to the bars with sticky back Velcro. I use only three of the rail that came with the frame at the present time. The leader on the take up, backing and the quilt bars are marked with permanent marker at the center. You can draw a line on edge of the leaders to have an accurate line to pin on.

I first attach the backing to the take up bar, wrong side of backing facing up. The leader comes underneath the bar, underneath the machine needle and full forward to within easy reach. Starting at the middle of the frame attach the leader to the backing by placing the leader next to the backing matching center line on the backing to the center line on the leader and pin about ¼ inch from the edge, pins fairly close together.






I roll the backing up on the take up roller until I get fairly close to the end of the leader, smooth out the back as you are rolling and make sure the seam where you attached the backing is nice and smooth. This is photo showing the take up leader rolled all the way to end. Tighten the knob for the take up roller.

 



I leave the backing hanging loose and take a hold of the other end of the backing and match markings. Pin the backing leader to the bottom of backing in the same way. Tighten the knob on the backing bar to keep from unwinding.

Once the backing it pinned to the leader, you can roll it counterclockwise until it is tight. and smooth.
 


 

I usually keep a hold of the take up roller so it won't roll out too fast to keep the backing pretty smooth as I go. You may have to roll it back to the take up roller and repeat the process to smooth it all out.
 




Now is the time to put the batting on. Loosen the backing some and bring the batting up over the backing roll and insert the top edge underneath the top roller. I take the batting to within an inch of the edge of the take up leader. You can measure this or just eyeball it. Smooth out the batting and make sure it lines up straight with the outside edges of the backing.


 




Pin the quilt top to the top roller, lining up your center marks.
I let the quilt top rest in the well formed by the take up roller and the backing roller while I am pinning to the top leader..


 


Take the quilt top edge to within an inch or so from the batting edge at the back of the machine. I pin the top at this point and roll the quilt up on the top bar, turning clockwise to tighten. Same as with the backing, you may have to unroll the top and roll it back up to get it smooth and straight. Use the side claps to keep the sides straight.





It is now ready to quilt. Adjust the rollers to ¼ inch from the top of the machine bed and if machine is threaded and ready to go...start quilting.

 


When finished quilt I unpin the backing from the leader, then loosen the knob of the take up roller. I can now pull on the edge of the quilt nearest to me and it will unroll from the take up roller. Take out the pins at the top edge and the quilt can be taken to the cutting table to be trimmed for the binding process.

Comments welcome,
Barb Lynn

35 comments:

  1. Great photos and easy to understand directions. Just enough detail that I think I can follow and set up my quilt onto the New Joy. Thanks for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope it helps you, we can still talk if you need more help.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loaded my first quilt today. Thanks to Barb. Do you ever use the laser to quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have come back to this video several times as I gain experience on our New Joy. I do not see the clamps in this video and my husband has seen others where the clamps are only attached to the quilt backing which is wider than the quilt top. When following the pantograph our eyes are on the pattern rather than the quilt so don't see the clamps soon enough to release so we don't run into them. Do you have any suggestions for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do use clamps, sometimes clamped to the backing only and sometimes to both backing and batting, just depends how wide the batting is. I pin along the outside edges of at the edge of the quilt through all layers so the claps holds all layers to the same tightness. No sure if that is the proper way to do it, but that is what I do.
      When I am following a pantograph, I would make a mark on the panto where you would be getting near the clamps and then you could stop and release the clamps and hold the edges until you finish the row of quilting.
      I have a piece of plastic covering my panto shelf and I put down a piece of blue painters tape where I will be starting and stopping the rows.

      Delete
  5. Thank You for the help. It has been over a year since I have quilted anhd forgot how to load my quilt..This post has helped me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Faythe, you are welcome, glad this tutorial helped you.
    BarbLynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting this information ! I have just bought froma quilting friend a New Joy frame and her Juki TL98P .... about to renew the velcro for the leaders .... and the to try and load it up and play!

    ReplyDelete
  8. barbsquiltspastpresent.blogspot.com
    Hope you have fun. I had one problem with the New Joy Gold frame that I never could work out. That was where the two sections joined there was a snag and when I would go over it with the carriage it was hard to go over and would most always make the machine jerk a little and the quilting would show a jag.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Barb, My Name is Edie Dallas. Thank you for posting this tutorial it's awesome! I like the painters tape idea!! I haven't tried using the pantograph but I think chalk and stencils would work best being a beginner:-) Any thoughts??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edie, Glad this tutorial helped you.
      I have been locked out of this blog for several month so this is the first time I have gotten on and can post replies. Personally, I like to use pantographs following it with the laser light. I have graduated to a long arm quilting machine and pantographs are what I do most. I also do free hand meander some and outline the designs of the fabric if I can.

      Delete
  10. I have the same problem as Barb Lynn. I have made sure the frame is square. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barb, thank you for the video. A marvelous help. We just bought my wife this frame (used) and a Janome 1600 machine. Now I'm desparately trying to find instructions for assembly. And of course the company does not exist anymore. By chance would you have your instructions and could I possible purchase a copy? I've got a bag of bolts and parts and would love to get this together for her. Thank you so much in avance. Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I to just got me a used new joy quilting frame and the 1600p,the Lady that I got it from only made about 3 quilts on it , happy for me. I have the CD and papers .if you would like a copy, just need we're too send it to ,if would like. O I hope not in trouble for putting this on here,I am sorry if so.

      Delete
    2. Helen, Thank you so much. I don't think you are in trouble, but how would you like to send it to me? I'm not real sure myself about whether or not we should share addresses here. I'll try to reseach a little.

      Delete
  12. I've not heard anything else from Helen, is there anyone else that can help me find a copy of the assembly instructions for New Joy Gold Frame?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have all of the written instructions. Not sure if I have the video. I am the third owner of the still brand new frame and I am determined to use it. Send me an email address to allisonpmoore@hotmail.com and I will scan in the directions and send them to you.

      Delete
    2. Allison, I don't think I have the written instruction. Would you mind sending the instructions to me and I will add it to the blog so others may has use of it.

      Delete
    3. I too am looking for the instructions for this frame. Can you please forward it to as well dwence1@yahoo.com. Thank you

      Delete
    4. Good morning, Allison. I know it's been a long time since this post was made but I'm hoping you are still out there in www world and that you still have the frame instructions. I would be eternally grateful if you would send them to me. I am on my way to purchase one as I type this message that is not assembled and I will need to assemble it when I get home. Any assistance you can provide would be truly appreciated. Joannwagner63@gmail.com

      Delete
  13. Allison, thank you so much. the email is on it's way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Barb,

    I lost your email. Send it to me again and I will send you the instructions for posting on the blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Certainly, on its way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello! I am about to purchase this frame. Well it work with my domestic Brother machine?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too would like the instructions for the Gold Frame. I recently sold mine and the purchaser is having problems. My email is s_stilson@yahoo.com. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have the joy frame and I am selling it to a lady. I am trying to figure out which rollers the quilt top, batting and backing goes on. I gave 4 rollers. I know the back roller takes all three. But could you tell me about the other three. It has been a vouple of years since I used it and I have forgotten. Watched video, understand alittle, but I am still confused.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello, I'm considering purchasing this frame and Brother 1500, which is with it. I'm wondering how much room there really is to quilt with this machine? Can you use pantographs? If available, I would love to have the video, so I know what I'm getting into! Kjwsew@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have just bought the new joy quilting frame with the Brother 1500 sewing machine. Is there anywhere to get a bolt that is missing that is adjusted by an allen wrench>

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love some help with my janome and new joy frame.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Does anyone still have the video? I have the written instructions but would love to see the video. dawnofjewels@cfl.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have a new joy magic frame. Can anyone tell me the difference. I also have a new joy crystal quilter that i would like to upgrade. Will the magic frame work with other machines? Frenchie10@hotmail.com. I have a favebook group for new joy owners. Please join us. New joy crystal quilters. Is my group name.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know this blog is pretty old but i was hoping to get some insight into this New Joy Frame. Can you please contact me if you are still on this blog. danar972@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Dana,

    I JUST put my New Joy Gold frame together tonight for the first time. I purchased it barely used a few months ago. I may be able to help. libscigrl (at) gmail.com

    ReplyDelete